The Office 365 ProPlus update model supports 4 production channels;
- Monthly Channel (Targeted),
- Monthly Channel,
- Semi-annual Channel (Targeted),
- Semi-annual Channel.
Each channel receives features updates, security and non-security updates on different release intervals.
Consider a scenarioÂ whereÂ Office 365 ProPlus is installed on a machineÂ from the Semi-Annual Channel. Â Now letâ€™s say,Â a new feature is introduced on the Monthly Channel which you wouldÂ like to get. Â Since you are on the Semi-Annual Channel you will have to wait for aÂ few months beforeÂ this featureÂ is made available to the Semi-Annual Channel.Â But what if you do not want to wait that long?Â The answer is, switch to the Monthly Channel.
Below are the steps to switch channels:
- Identify the channel which you would like to switch to. Features and updates by channel are documentedÂ here.
- Launch Command Prompt as an administrator.
- Navigate to â€œC:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun\â€
- Run the following command to change the desired channel, letâ€™sÂ say Monthly Channel Targeted â€œOfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Insidersâ€Â (When running in powershell the command will be â€œ.\OfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Insidersâ€
or if you want to switch to the Montly channel:
â€œOfficeC2RClient.exe /changesetting Channel=Monthlyâ€
Note â€“ You can use this command to switch to any channel using the corresponding ChannelÂ keyword listed below:
|Keyword in CMD or ODT
|Â Monthly Channel (Targeted)
|Â Channel=â€Insidersâ€Â or Channel=â€FirstReleaseCurrentâ€œ
|Â Monthly Channel
|Â Channel=â€Monthlyâ€ or Channel=â€Currentâ€œ
|Â Semi-annual Channel (Targeted)
|Â Channel=â€Targetedâ€ or Channel=â€FirstReleaseDeferredâ€œ
|Â Semi-annual Channel
|Â Channel=â€Broadâ€ or Channel=â€Deferredâ€œ
To start the switch Channel process, run â€œOfficeC2RClient.exe /update userâ€Â from the cmd prompt path â€œC:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\ClickToRun>â€Â This should be followed by a series of windows which will take you through the process of downloading and installing updates for the new channel that you have switch to.
All credits go to Eric Bierens,Â this is just a shameless copy-past for personal usage.